Thursday 22 April 2010

Our politicians

I've now worked out how you tell Cameron and Clegg apart.

Cameron's mouth is too small:-


and Clegg's eyebrows are too short


That's not a trick of the light. His right eyebrow does actually stop about half an inch short of where it should stop. And the left eyebrow's the same. It's not natural and probably masks a character defect.

Anyway, we got the second Prime Ministerial debate out here in the Azores because it was on Sky News which we do get here. And I certainly couldn't be bothered watching all of it. 90 minutes - oh hell, no.


See what I mean about the eyebrows?

A couple of quick off the cuff observations from what I did watch, though - first, excessive use of the first person plural demonstrative pronoun as in "our schools", "our hospitals" etc. Of course they're trying to sound inclusive but it begins to sound a bit squeamish when they get to "our prisons". How far does this go? "Our corrupt MPs"? "Our paedophile priests"?

Secondly, I actually briefly heard a concrete policy statement uttered by one of them (as opposed to a platitude like "We need to build a fairer society in which our demoralised doctors ..."). It was uttered by Cameron (small mouth one) and I disagreed with it. It was:-

"It's not right that we should have to sell our houses to pay for our care when we're old instead of being able to leave it to our children."

I think we jolly well should have to sell our houses to pay for our care when we're old. That's called self reliance and I thought the Tories believed in that. I'm sure Mrs Thatcher (of blessed memory) did. So what you're saying is that I as Joe Taxpayer have to pay for old Mr X's terminal care so that Mr X's children (our voters?) can score a six figure inheritance? F**k off! Sorry, David but you just lost my vote tonight.


See what I mean about the mouth?

1 comment:

Kathie said...

According to National Public Radio "Morning Edition" today, Clegg's distinguishable from Cameron for being tall. The transcript of Rob Gifford's report, explained in terms of the US perspective on electoral politics, is posted at:
"TV Debates Make Britain's Election Unpredictable":
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126211509